Wednesday 18 January 2017

Big moves

So last Wednesday mum had a TIA or a stroke. She was sitting at the kitchen table in the morning after waking up ok. Her carer came in and said hello, then when they looked again, she was unresponsive. They called the ambulance and she went to hospital. The next day Dad called me to tell she was in hospital and they aren't sure if she's going to be cleared to come home. He said no need to race down to see her. They will just see how she goes with regard to recovery before making a decision.

I went down to visit on the weekend (without the kids because I didn't know what I was going to be walking into). I'm glad I didn't take them, because she has deteriorated a lot. She was very confused, agitated, paranoid and distressed. She all of a sudden can't hold he false teeth in properly, they are loose.

I spoke to Dad at length, he was very stressed about finances and how much it's going to cost to put her in a nursing home.

By Tuesday, Dad told me that the Dr's have suggested that Mum won't becoming home and will be put into respite until a suitable permanent spot is sorted out. Mum will be transported by ambulance transport to the nursing home and they will work on trying to settle her and adjust her emotional needs with medication.

Dad seems very upset and in quite a state, which is understandable.

Me, I feel relieved. I knew that it was time. I knew that it was no longer reasonable for her to be at home. And now, I feel, probably the least stressed that I have felt in the last 6-8 months. I know this will be hard, but there is light at the end of the tunnel. There is hope for brighter days in the future.


Alzheimers Diagnosed June 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment